Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ode to Typography Book

Today's post is about my final project for Typography III, a book laying out the poem Ode to Typography by Pablo Neruda. We had to include the entire poem, and the book had to be tabloid size (11x17). With those parameters in mind, I read the poem several times to try to get a sense of what he was trying to say. Maybe I just don't appreciate poetry, but I found it to be overly long and repetitive. While at the end of it I did feel very appreciative of letterforms and all that they accomplish, I really felt like it took way too long to get there. In the end, I decided to use my own photography in my book to show the uses typography has had through history up to modern times. It gave me a chance to explore many different styles and layouts, and, while I did have some trouble reining it in to make the whole book cohesive, I think many of the spreads ended up working very beautifully.





























3 comments:

  1. I love the way you place the text and make it follow a line (if that makes sense)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeeeeeeez. id love to see a project that you considered a failure because it probably even looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are gorgeous :) You continue to be ridiculously talented, and your passion for the subject is totally infectious :D

    ReplyDelete